Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

J. E. H. Gordon and Co

From Graces Guide

Electrical contractors, of Pall Mall, London

Business established by James Edward Henry Gordon

1891 J. E. H. Gordon and Co, as engineers for the Electric Installation and Maintenance Co, of Upper Sydenham, built the central station which would supply electricity to the Electrical Exhibition at Crystal Palace. The station was opened on January 1st, 1892; it was otherwise known as Sydenham Electric Light Station. During the period that the Exhibition was open, mains were laid throughout the district of Upper Sydenham so that, and at the close of the Exhibition, the station would be able to supply current to any private houses in the district. As the engines would have been run for 4-5 months, the chance of small breakdowns would be reduced[1]

1893 Incorporated in Gordon and Fell Ltd together with the general contracting business of John Fell of Leamington, including the Carlow, Bray and Larne Electric Lighting Works[2]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Engineer 1891/10/23
  2. The Times, Jan 09, 1893