Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,950 pages of information and 210,197 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Coachbuilders, of Liverpool
1870 founded by Joseph Alfred Lawton
Later turned to car-body making
Early 1900s opened a London works run by William Lawton Goodman, his nephew.
1913 Joseph died and left the company in his will to his brother.
1913 Adjudication notice. 'William Lawton Goodman. Residing at Stanley Cottage, Langton-road, Cricklewood, in the county of London, formerly carrying on business with Joseph Alfred Lawton (now deceased), formerly residing at 5, Abercromby-square, in the city of Liverpool, under the style of J. A. Lawton and Co., at 35, Hardman-street and South Hunter-street, in the city of Liverpool, Westminster Works, Northgate-street, in the city of Chester, and Stanley Works, Langton-road, Cricklewood, in the county of London, and Deansgate, in the city of Manchester, also under the style of The Liverpool Motor Garage, at 32, Hope-street, Liverpool aforesaid, and under the style of Henry Whitlock and Co., at 49, Hardman-street and 40, Hope-street, both in Liverpool aforesaid, and at 24, Orchard-street, London aforesaid, as coach builders and motor agents'
William Lawton Goodman started a new company, Lawton-Goodman, taking over the defunct name of Whitlock and moved to new premises in Slade Works, Cricklewood, North London. Two new models were announced, initially called Lawtons but soon changed to Whitlock; before production could be established, war broke out.
WWI During the war years the company concentrated on building ambulances on both their own and other makers' chassis, and fuselages for De Havilland DH4 aircraft.