Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
North Street, Exeter
An impressive multi-arched cast iron bridge, built in 1834-5 to overcome the obstacle to horse-drawn transport posed by a (dry) valley on one of the main routes into Exeter city centre. Made by Russell and Browns of the Blaina Iron Works.
An interesting account of the bridge and its history is available online 
1834 May. 'NORTH STREET BRIDGE.- The North Street Improvement Committee of the Commissioners, present Messrs. J. Golsworthy, C. Davy, T. W. Horrell, J. Cooke, W. Harding, J. Burt, S. Maunder, W. Carter, W. Wills, and S. Kingdon: Mr. Golsworthy in the chair, on Wednesday last met Mr. Russell, of the firm of Russell and Co., cf the Blaina Iron Works, and have arranged with this Gentleman for proceeding with the Iron Bridge in North Street, according to the resolution of the General Meeting of the Commissioners, on the 14th instant. Mr. Russell expecting that the working plans and models for this structure will he ready in about ten days. According to the plan originally designed the extreme width of this Bridge was to have been 26 feet, at a contract price of £2,925, but agreeably to the declarations given by the Commissioners to the Trustees of the Exeter Turnpikes, the Bridge will now be 26 feet in width in the clear, thus giving the public another foot in width, at an additional cost of £125., or a contract sum of £3,050. At the same time a Sub-committee consisting of Messrs. T. W. Horrell, W. Wills, and J. Golsworthy was appointed for the purpose of assisting Messrs. Coldridge, the surveyors, in preparing the plans for the masonry work that will be requisite.
Near one end of the bridge is a curious cast iron post topped by a weather vane. This is remarkable for the fact that it appears to be a single, solid iron casting of great length - over 40 ft. It was installed in 1898 in celebration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. It was made by W. Shepherd and Son of Albion Foundry, Exeter.