Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,418 pages of information and 230,040 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Inverness and Perth Junction Railway was built to link the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway at Forres and Perth and Dunkeld Railway ultimately absorbing the latter.
With the Act of Parliament was passed on 22 July 1861, with the line being opened between Dunkeld and Pitlochry on 1 June 1863, between Forres and Aviemore on 3 August 1863 and the final section to Aviemore and Pitlochry on 9 September 1863.
It combined with the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway to form the Highland Railway on 1 February 1865. The line became part of the LMS in 1923.
The Aberfeldy Branch was authorised under the original Act of Parliament, being opened on 3 July 1865, just after the formation of the Highland Railway.
The Aberfeldy Branch was closed on 3 May 1965 just short of its centenary. The line between Forres and Aviemore closed on 10 October 1965.