Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,702 pages of information and 227,385 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Newcastle upon Tyne
Maker of paints, etc for ships
Later International Paints Ltd. of Grosvenor Gardens House, Grosvenor Gardens, London, S.W.3.
1927 New factory at Grays in the South of England; transferred some drum production from Felling-on-Tyne
1928 Completion acquisition of Standard Antifouling
1935 Had expanded the range of products from ship paints to include industrial paints including varnishes and lacquers
1947 Doubled the size of the research facility at Newton Ferrers including appointment of marine biologist
1948 UK subsidiaries included:
Name changed to International Paints Ltd.
1949 "Lagomatt" flat oil paint for interior finishing.
1951 Creation of holding company structure, separating the home and export companies; consideration of separating the other subsidiaries.
1952 The company had operations in 16 countries involving 22 companies
1956 Claimed to be the largest paint organisation in the world: 36 companies, with 23 factories in 16 countries
1965 Extensions to the central research laboratory at Felling
1968 Dufay Bitumastic bid to take-over International Paints but this failed when a key manager left the Dufay company and criticised their figures, the Take-Over Panel intervened, and Courtaulds offered to make a counter-bid. Courtauld's bid, from its subsidiary Pinchin, Johnson and Associates, was successful; the companies would become part of a new company, International Paint Company, 83 percent owned by Courtaulds