Institution of Welding Engineers
1923 - Formed in October 1923 when it had its opening meeting. The address of the institution was 30, Red Lion-square, Holborn, London, WCI.
Objective - The central idea of the institution was to unite in one corporation all those who are engaged in welding of any kind - gas, electric, Thermit etc. - as well as those engaged or interested in allied industries.
Its members were to be of five grades: - Special Members, Ordinary Members, Associates, Graduates and Foreign Members.
Office holders appointed in 1923 were;-
- Sir W. Peter Rylands. (President).
- Sir Robert Hadfield. (Vice-President).
- Professor F. C. Thompson. (Vice-President).
- Mr. Charles Bingham. (Vice-President).
- W. R. J. Britten. (Hon. Treasurer).
- C. Raggett. (Hon. Secretary).
The following were the members of the first council: -
- E. A. Atkins.
- W. R. J. Britten.
- Charles Bingham.
- Herman G. Dixon.
- L. M. Fox.
- A. L. Haggerty.
- A. Edgar Knowles.
- T. Vincent Lane.
- C. Raggett.
- Captain D. Richardson.
- Lewis J. Yeoman.
- G. Young.