Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1918 a meeting. called by Professor J W Hinchley, decided to form a subject group of the Society of Chemical Industry to be called “The Chemical Engineering Group”. This group studied the art and science of chemical engineering and promoted chemical engineering vigorously.
1919 a number of professional chemical engineers continued to call for a separate Institution which could act as a qualifying body.
1920 during the Fourth Conference of the Chemical Engineering Group of the Society of Chemical Industry, a meeting was held to promote the formation of an Institution of Chemical Engineers.
1921 At a meeting on 9 November it was decided to form a provisional institution to act as a professional qualifying body in chemical engineering.
Meetings of the Provisional Committee took place at frequent intervals and, as no established institution met the needs of chemical engineers, it was agreed that the Institution of Chemical Engineers should be constituted.
1922 An inaugural meeting of the new Institution of Chemical Engineers was held on Tuesday 2 May. About 100 people attended the meeting. On 21 December the Institution of Chemical Engineers was formally incorporated.
1923 Sir Arthur Duckham KCB MICE was elected the first President of the Institution.
1923 The Chemical Engineering Group (Society of Chemical Industry) removed its offices from 24, Buckingham-street, Strand, London, W. C. 2. to Abbey House (Room 308), Victoria-street, Westminster, SWI.
Members from 1922 included:
1982 Members: 12, 879 / Address: Rugby / Had made a financial profit in the year ending 1981.