Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 127,338 pages of information and 200,884 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Tower Hill, London.
1888, November 9th, a number of marine engineers met in a room in the East End of London to consider the advisability of forming an institute of marine engineers. An organising committee was appointed consisting of Messrs James Adamson, D. Greer, J.G. Hawthorn, Robert Leslie, C. Noble, Matthew Prior, F. W. Shorey and J. H. Thomson.
A public meeting was held in the Workmen's Hall, Stratford, on February 12th 1889.
2000 copies of the circular written by James Adamson were distributed with promising response.
On December 7th 1888 the Institute was formerly constituted at a meeting of the committee and Mr James Adamson was elected as Hon. Secretary.
Mr. Asplan Beldam was elected as Chairman, and Mr. J. W. Domoney as Hon. Treasurer.
The objects of the institute were;
In May 1912 the Titanic Engineering Staff Memorial Fund was opened under the auspices of the Institute. The fund was used to support widows and orphans of members of engineering staff of any steamer or steamers.