Hozier Engineering Co (1899-1905) of Hozier Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow
1899 The Hozier Engineering Co was founded by Alex Govan, with the financial support of William Alexander Smith, and he took over the factory of the then bankrupt Scottish Manufacturing Co. It was here that the first Argyll Voiturette was produced; copied from the contemporary Renault and featured a 2.75 hp De Dion engine and shaft-drive.
1902 June. Details of their works at Bridgeton.
1903 Listed as 'Hozier Engineering Co. Ltd., 51 Hozier st, Bridgeton; makers of the celebrated Argyle(sic) cars and delivery vans.' under the sections 'Motor Carriage Builders' and 'Motor Car Manufacturers'.
1905 Argyll had now become Scotland's biggest marque and moved production from its premises in Bridgeton, Glasgow to a grand terracotta factory in the suburb of Alexandria built for the company by now named Argyll Motors Ltd. They employed 1,500 persons.
Became Argyll Motors