Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,137 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Hortensius Huxham (1830-1900)
1900 Obituary 
HORTENSIUS HUXHAM, born on the 10th December, 1830, was articled, in August, 1848, to the late Mr. William Southern Clark, Chief Engineer to the Marquis of Bute’s estates in Wales, and was afterwards engaged with him as an Assistant on various works on the estate, and as Resident Engineer in sinking a trial pit at Cwmsaerbryn to prove the existence of steam coal in the Rhondda district, prior to the construction of the Taff Vale Railway Company's branch up those valleys.
He was subsequently engaged as Resident Engineer in carrying out the works for winning and establishing the Bute Merthyr Colliery on the site of the said trial pit; and the colliery having been leased, he remained as Engineer until 1858.
From the latter date until 1862 Mr. Huxham practised in the Rhondda district, and, among other matters, as Engineer and part-owner, executed the works in winning and establishing the Abergorkie Colliery.
On the sale of that colliery Mr. Huxham removed to Swansea, and from that time practised in that town and district. Among the works with which he was connected may be mentioned the winning and developing of the Rhondda Mountain Colliery, the Bishwell Collieries, the Baglsn Collieries, the Rhosamman Colliery, the Lower Resolven Colliery, and new deep pits in the Vale of Neath. He acted as Consulting Engineer to several collieries, was Joint Engineer with Mr. Joseph Kincaid for the Swansea Improvements and Tramways incorporated in 1874, and held the post of Secretary to the South Wales Institute of Engineers since 1871. He was also Secretary to the Western District Board of the South Wales Coal Owners Association, and Honorary Secretary at Swansea to the Royal Institution of South Wales.
Mr. Huxham died at his residence, 70 Bryn Road, Swansea, on the 17th February, 1900. As an engineer he hail considerable experience of mining; and, while as a man he was retiring in disposition, almost to being reserved, he was always ready to help the younger members of the profession by advice and information. He contributed several Papers to the Proceedings of the South Wales Institute of Engineers.
He was elected a Member of the Institution on the 11th May, 1875.