Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,127 pages of information and 245,598 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Horsehay Co

From Graces Guide
1895.
1919. Maker's plaque on the Attock Khurd Bridge, Pakistan.
1932. Name plate.
1934. Maker's plaque on the footbridge over the railway line at Whitland Station, Carmarthenshire.
Footbridge over the railway line at Whitland Station, Carmarthenshire.
1960.

Horsehay Co Ltd. of Shropshire.

1754 A great deal of timber from Wrockwardine Wood was sold to the Coalbrookdale Co for the building of the Horsehay ironworks[1].

1754 Abraham Darby (1711-1763) had recently become lessee of the coal and ironstone near Ketley. Soon afterwards the Horsehay and Ketley ironworks began production.

1757 The mines in the township of Wrockwardine Wood began to supply ironstone to the Coalbrookdale partners' works at Coalbrookdale, Horsehay, and Ketley.

1886 Company established

1895 Advert

1900 Company incorporated - Horsehay Ltd

1907 Produced the steelwork for the road bridge across the River Klang near the town of Klang in the former Federated Malay States. Four spans of 140 ft. Designed by F. J. Waring. Erected by the Federated Engineering Co. of Kuala Lumpur.[2]. See Belfield Bridge (Malaysia).

1951 Advert for Adamson-Horsehay Associated. Manufacturers of boilers of all types. Cranes. Presswork. Welded fabrications. Part of Adamson group with Joseph Adamson and Co and Adamson-Alliance Co. Listed as Horsehay Co

1951 Part of the Adamson Group

1967 Name changed to Adamson-Alliance (Horsehay) Ltd

1973 Name changed to Adamson-Alliance Ltd

1991 Name of Adamson-Alliance Ltd changed to Crosby Doors Ltd


An interesting selection of photographs of the works and its products is available here. These include four fluted cast iron columns made for the Buenos Aires Corn Exchange.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. 'Wrockwardine Wood: Economic history', A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11: Telford (1985), pp. 328-330. [1]
  2. Engineering, 7 Jan 1910