Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Horace Waring

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Horace Waring (1891-1937)


1937 Obituary [1]

HORACE WARING held important positions in a number of firms connected with the manufacture of lead and lead derivatives. He was born at Morley, near Leeds, in 1891 and studied engineering at the Universities of Leeds and Sheffield from 1908 to 1911. During the next three years he served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Newton, Bean and Mitchell, of Bradford.

In August 1914 he became chief mechanical and electrical engineer to Messrs. Arthur Lee and Sons, Ltd., of Sheffield; he was responsible for the manufacture of rolling mills and wiredrawing plant, and for experimental work carried out by the firm. During the War he designed the layout of the Truebright Steel Works, Sheffield, and he supervised their erection and started the manufacture there of bright rolled strip steel and bright drawn bars, on rolling mills of his own design. He also designed and built the Clarion Rolling Mills, Sheffield, which contained his own type of reversing rolling mills for the production of streamlined aeroplane rods.

In 1919 he was appointed consulting mechanical and electrical engineer to Sir George Fisher-Smith, chairman of the Caledonian Steel Works, Halifax, which Mr. Waring modernized, substituting bulk supply of electric power from the Corporation of Halifax in place of the old works power station. His connection with the lead industry dated from 1921, when he was appointed general manager and chief mechanical and electrical engineer to Messrs. Rowe Brothers and Company, Ltd., of Bootle, Birmingham, Bristol, and Exeter. The firm was later acquired by the Librex Lead Company, now a subsidiary company of Goodlass Wall and Lead Industries, Ltd.

Mr. Waring was responsible for the development of the process for eleven years, during which the works became one of the largest electrolytic white lead plants in Europe. The works contain research laboratories and a research engineering department, where all consulting work is carried out for the subsidiary companies of Goodlass Wall and Lead Industries, which controls in all twenty-two factories. In 1925 Mr. Waring received the appointments of chief mechanical and electrical engineer to Messrs. Associated Lead Manufacturers, Ltd., later styled Goodlass Wall and Lead Industries, Ltd., and of technical consultant to Harburger Chemische Werke Schoen and Company, Germany, for whom he entirely redesigned the equipment of the factory.

On the formation of the A.L.M. Engineering Company, Ltd., in 1928, Mr. Waring was appointed director and chief engineer; the firm, whilst acting as engineering consultants, was also formed to market special plant of his design. He held patents for several of his inventions, including various types of dust and fume collectors, pulverizers, separators, and vacuum filters. In addition, he carried out the reorganization of mechanical units and electrical plant and transmission at a number of lead works in Great Britain and the Dominions.

Mr. Waring was elected a Member of the Institution in 1936, and was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers. His death occurred in Liverpool on 3rd October 1937.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information