Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,131 pages of information and 233,678 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
This entry refers to a cotton mill in Hope Street, Salford. 'Hope Street Mill' may not have been the official name.
1799 Advert: 'To be Sold, by private Contract, ALL that new erected COTTON FACTORY, with the Steam Engine, Mill-work and other Appurtenances thereto belonging, situate in Hop-street, behind the Crescent, in Salford, in the County of Lancaster, together with the vacant Plot of Land fronting the said Factory and which, including the Scite of the Building, contains about 1955 square yards.
The Building is 55 Feet long, 33 Feet wide, four Stories high, and stands near the Bolton and Bury Canal, from which Coal may be conveyed from the Boats into the Yard, at trifling expence. The Premises are subject to an annual chief Rent of 16l 5s. 10d. payable half-yearly.
Also the Spinning Machinery in the above mentioned Factory, consisting of Stretching Frames, Mules, &c.
For Treaty, and to view the Premises, apply Mr. R. Lacy. No. 9, Marsden-street, N. B. Part of the purchase may lie on the factory if required.'
1825 Thomas Slater was listed as a cotton spinner, 7 Essex Street and Hope Town, Oldfield Road, in Baines Directory.
Bancks's 1831 shows 'Slaters Cotton Mill' near the western end of Hope Street, which branched off the western side of Oldfield Road. The mill was just south of the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal. Two buildings are shown, both larger than the 55 by 33 ft mentioned in the 1799 advert.
At some point the land immediately south of the canal was occupied by tracks of the L&YR.