High Mill, Skipton
No longer extant.
1785 High Mill was built by James Benson Sidgwick, Peter Garforth, and John Blackburn [1]
See 1850/2 large scale O.S. map here [2]. This shows the mill in the valley of the Eller Beck, just to the north of Skipton, in the shadow of Skipton Castle. The Springs Branch canal terminated close to the mill.
The mill's waterwheel was fed by a mill race which took its water from two dams up the valley - the Long Dam and the Round Dam - fed by the Eller Beck, with a contribution from the Sougha Gill. The 1850/1854 O.S. map and the 1889/91 map show an aqueduct taking water from the round dam across Eller Beck. The present bridge here, whose upper parts are of modern construction, is built on an earlier riveted box-section iron structure, evidently a former aqueduct.
