Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Heworth and Heworth Shore, Gateshead
c.1818 Francis Hutchinson, MD, began manufacture of Epsom salts and alum at Heworth
1828 Another works, making alkali, was started by John Allen (1791-1860) and Thomas Coultherd nearby at Heworth Shore.
c.1830 Hutchinson erected lead chambers at Heworth.
1836 Following Hutchinson's bankruptcy, his works was bought Allen and Coultherd and the two plants were then operated together as the Heworth Chemical Works. Hutchinson's old establishment became known as 'High Works' and the riverside plant as 'Low Works'.
1840 Allen brought the first cargo of Cornish pyrites to the Tyne, the start of the switch by sulphuric acid makers from using sulphur to pyrites.
1847 Allen's partnership with Coultherd was dissolved and the works were sold to Coultherd.
Much of the equipment, however, was transferred by Allen to a new works that he now built at Wallsend, where he traded as John Allen and Son.
1851 The Heworth works were closed and the site was sold to R. Imeary, alkali manufacturer.
1883 Allen's Wallsend factory was acquired by the Wallsend Chemical Co.; it was closed in 1891.