Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1886 H. Lindley of Sandon Engine Works granted Patent No. 5039 for a method of sharpening milling cutters. 
1938 Obituary 
He was born in Derby in 1854 and studied at Trent College, Derbyshire, and at the University of Oxford. In 1874 he was apprenticed to Sir J. Whitworth and Company, Ltd., Manchester, serving for about two and a half years, after which he was made under-manager. He began his partnership with Mr. T. Browett in 1879, and with him bought the business of Messrs. Deakin, Parker and Company, engine builders, of Salford. The title of the firm was changed to Browett and Lindley in 1884, and shortly afterwards the partners removed to new works at Patricroft.
In 1900 Mr. Lindley seceded from the partnership and became general manager to Messrs. Galloways, Ltd., Knott Mill Works, Manchester, but in the following year he was appointed mechanical engineer and manager to Messrs. Kendall and Gent, Ltd., tool makers, of Gorton, Manchester. Mr. Lindley retired in 1912, but during the War he worked for Messrs. Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth and Company, Ltd., until 1917.
For several years he lived at Meregarth, Windermere, where his death occurred on 2nd May 1938. He had been a Member of the Institution since 1903, and was for many years a Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.