Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,162 pages of information and 233,682 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Henry Theophilus Johnson

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Henry Theophilus Johnson (1865-1932)


1932 Obituary [1]

HENRY THEOPHILUS JOHNSON had a specialized knowledge of printing machinery, and some years ago published a treatise entitled "Fifty Years of Mechanical Composition."

He was born in 1865 and completed his education at the Manchester Technical School and Heriot-Watt College, Edinburgh.

He commenced his apprenticeship in 1881 with Mr. Robert Hattersley of Manchester, and after a five years' training served under various engineers, specializing in the manufacture of type-setting and printing machines.

In 1888 Mr. Johnson joined the Thorne Machine Company of Hartford, Connecticut, U.S.A., as English representative, and during the succeeding nine years was responsible for the erection of the first of the combined type-setting and distributing machines of the Type-Setting Syndicate in this country and in many parts of Europe.

In 1899 he became representative in the Midlands for the English Linotype Company, which had absorbed the Type-Setting Syndicate, although continuing his visits abroad from time to time.

In 1902 he was appointed European manager to the Canadian-American Linotype Corporation of Toronto. Upon the absorption of this firm by Messrs. Linotype and Machinery, Mr. Johnson started the Canadian-American Machinery Company as European headquarters of the Toronto Foundry, who introduced printing machine specialities, and he held the position of managing director until his retirement.

He had been a Member of the Institution since 1906.

He died at sea on 31st May 1932.


1932 Obituary[2]

"THE LATE MR. H. T. JOHNSON.

We regret to note the death, at sea on May 31 last, of Mr. Henry Theophilus Johnson, for many years managing director of Messrs. Cameo (Machinery), Limited, mechanical engineers and manufacturers of printing machinery, 63, Farringdon-street, London, E.C.4. Mr. Johnson was born on May 12, 1865, and was educated at the Public Hall School, Rusholme, near Manchester, and afterwards at the Manchester Commercial School. He received his technical education at the Manchester Technical School, now the Municipal College of Technology, and later at Heriot-Watt College, Edinburgh. In January, 1881, he entered upon an apprenticeship of five years with Mr. Robert Hattersley, of Manchester, engineer and inventor of the Hattersley type-setting and distributing machines. After completing his training, he served for short periods, first with Mr. George Buick, tool maker of Salford, and afterwards as engineer to Messrs. Neill and Company, printers, Edinburgh. In March, 1888, he entered the service of Messrs. The Thorne Machine Company, of Hartford, Connecticut, U.S.A., as engineer to their English company. He was responsible for the erection of the first of their combined typesetting and distributing machines in England and, during the succeeding nine years, was engaged on erecting these machines in many parts of Europe. When Mr. Johnson’s company was merged into the English Linotype Co in 1899, he accepted service with the latter as Midlands representative, although he was still required to proceed abroad from time to time. In 1902, he was engaged by Messrs. The Canadian American Linotype Corporation, of Toronto, as European manager, and remained in this capacity for some years. The firm of Messrs. The Canadian American Machinery Company, Limited, was registered in 1910, the title being subsequently abbreviated to that of Messrs. Cameo (Machinery), Limited; Mr. Johnson was made managing director of this concern upon its formation and continued to occupy this position until his retirement in 1924. Some years ago, Mr. Johnson published a treatise entitled, Fifty Years of Mechanical Composition. He became a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1906."


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information