Henry Tate and Sons
of Silvertown, London
1859 Henry Tate became a partner in John Wright and Co, sugar refinery in Liverpool
1861 Tate sold his grocery business.
By 1869, Tate had gained complete control of the company, Tate then took his two sons, Alfred and Edwin, into business with him; the company was renamed Henry Tate and Sons.
1872 Tate purchased the Langen patent on a method of making sugar cubes, and in the same year built a new refinery in Liverpool. During the construction of the Love Lane Refinery, Henry Tate adapted the plans to incorporate a new refining technique to increase the yield of white sugar. When the refinery became operational in 1872, it produced 400 tons of sugar a week.
1878 Henry Tate & Sons opened its Thames Refinery at Silvertown in East London to address the London market.
The business prospered.
1897 Tate used his fortune to found the Tate Gallery in London.
1903 The company was registered on 27 February, to acquire the business of sugar refiners of a company of similar title. 
1914 The Directors were Sir William Henry Tate, Bart. (Chairman), Edwin Tate (Vice-Chairman); Ernest William Tate, Alfred Herbert Tate, Claude Robinson, John William Macdonald, Lionel Alfred Martin (Managing Directors).
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908