Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Henry Scott Manisty

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Henry Scott Manisty (1885-1917)


1917 Obituary [1]

Lieut. HENRY SCOTT MANISTY, M.C., R.E., was born on 14th December 1885.

He was educated at Leamington College from 1896 to 1902, when he commenced to study at the Finsbury Technical College of the City and Guilds of London, and remained there until 1905.

Having worked for a short time in the Dundalk Iron Works, Ireland, he became assistant engineer to Messrs. Price and Reeves, contractors for the construction of the Charing Cross and Hampstead Tube, and the Immingham Docks.

In November 1909 he was engaged as engineer and agent for Messrs. Monro and Co., contractors for the Petersham filter beds for the Richmond (Surrey) Corporation.

From 1911 to August 1913 he was in the London office of Messrs. C. H. Walker and Co., assisting the chief engineer on the contracts for the building of the harbours at Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro, as well as for the Andes Summit Tunnel.

In the latter part of 1913 be went to California and studied at the University of California. While there, he carried out experiments in reinforced concrete and in mass concrete, but, owing to the War breaking out, he was unable to publish an account of them.

He returned to England, and rejoined the squadron of the Inns of Court Officers Training Corps, of which he had been a member for some years, and in October 1914 he obtained a Commission in the Royal Engineers Special Reserve.

He was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry on 25th June 1916 at Wieltje, when he was severely wounded.

His death took place in action in France on 14th October 1917, in his thirty-second year.

He was elected a Graduate of this Institution in 1904, and an Associate Member in 1911.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information