Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,161 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Joseph Johnston (1858-1905)
1906 Obituary 
HENHY JOSEPH JOHNSTON, second son of the Venerable Henry Johnston, Archdeacon of Elphin and Armagh, was born on the 17th February, 1858, and received his education at the Royal School, Armagh, Trinity College, Dublin, and the Royal Indian Engineering College, Coopers Hill.
Entering the Indian Public Works service in 1880, he was first employed on the Jhind irrigation distributaries in the Punjab, next on the construction of the Sidhnai canal, and from 1889 to 1892 on the weir and headworks of the Chenab canal, for the rapid completion of which he received the thanks of the Government of India.
Subsequently, he held charge successively of a division of the Bari Doab canal at Amritsar, the headworks division of the Chenab canal, where at the time heavy training-works were in progress, and the construction of the Jhelum canal weir and headworks, completed in 1902.
For his services in connection with these important works he received the well-merited distinction of Companion of the Order of the Indian Empire.
In 1903 he was appointed Superintending Engineer in charge of the Sirhind canal, Umballa, and had just completed his work there when he was attacked by a serious illness.
He was ordered home on sick leave, but medical assistance proved unavailing, and he died in London on the 13th March, 1905, aged 47. Unfailing tact in his relations with colleagues and loyalty to his superior officers were distinguishing traits in Mr. Johnston's character. The works upon which he was engaged are among the most important of their kind in India, and the extensive experience which he had acquired in the irrigation service renders his comparatively early death a distinct loss to the profession in India.
Mr. Johnston married in 1893 Maude, elder daughter of the late Major G. C. Bloomfield, Indian Army, of Thornville, Palatine, County Carlow.
He was elected a Member of the Institution on the 4th December, 1900.