Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,367 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Doulton and Co, pipe makers and brick agents, High St, Lambeth, London
Large scale manufacturer of stoneware and vitrified pipes. Samples in the London Science Museum
1846 Henry Doulton, having learnt about the pottery business from working in the family partnership of Doulton and Watts, left home to start his own branch of the business, making ceramic pipes for the sanitary market. It was the first factory to provide such products, meeting the rising demand for effective sanitation.
1848 acquired additional premises in Dudley, and subsequently works in Smethwick and Rowley Regis.
1849 Doulton married Sarah, daughter of John L. Kennaby. They settled at 7 Stockwell Villas, Lambeth, where they had three children: Sarah Lilian, Henry Lewis, and Katherine.
1852 Glazed stoneware, drain and water pipe and terra cotta manufacturers, of 63 High St, Lambeth
1877 The Doultons acquired a small factory from Pinder, Bourne and Co at Nile Street in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire – a facility that handled tableware as well as ornaments and earthenwares. The company was soon producing bone china at this factory. This led to a large and increasing home trade, not only in earthenware but also in china.
Introduced novel and artistic decorations which led to increasing renown for the Burslem wares.
1891 Brick agents, sanitary earthenware makers, terra cotta manufacturers, of 61 High St, Lambeth, and Warwick Rd, Kensington.
1895 Drain, pipe and brick agents, of 43 High St, Lambeth.
1899 On 1 January Doulton and Co became a public company, incorporating various Doulton companies including presumably Henry Doulton's. The drain pipe factories at Lambeth and Rowley Regis were the largest in the world.