Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,110 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Anton Emil Liebert (1861-1952), one of the managing directors of John Holroyd and Co
1861 Born in Manchester, son of Emil and Maria Liebert
Educated in England
c.1874 Attended a public school in Berlin
c.1879 Apprenticed at Beyer, Peacock and Co
1883-5 Employed in the firm's drawing office
1885-6 Attended Politechnical Institute in Dresden
1886-7 Assistant engineer at a firm in Prussia
1887 Became a managing director of John Holroyd and Co Ltd in Manchester
1891 Henry Liebert 30, managing director, machine tool works, lived in Chorlton with Emil Liebert 74, cotton export merchant, Marie A Liebert 62, Marrie Liebert 38, Juliet Liebert 32, George C Liebert 26, merchant (partner) ditto, Emil H Liebert 23, electrical engineer
1893 Had sole charge of Holroyd's works in Hulme
1939 Living in Manchester, a Consulting Engineer, M I M E
1953 Obituary 
HENRY ANTON LIEBERT, who died at his home in Manchester on 9th May 1952 at the age of ninety-one, was one of the managing directors of John Holroyd and Company, Ltd., Milnrow, Lancashire, from 1888 until his retirement in 1936.
He served an apprenticeship with Beyer Peacock and Company, Ltd., Gorton, locomotive builders, and shortly after its completion joined the firm of John Holroyd and Company, Ltd., the works of which were then at Hulme, Manchester.
Mr. Liebert's greatest interest was always in machine tools, and he was responsible for the design and manufacture of very many different types. He was a pioneer in many of these, a notable example being a machine designed by him in 1895 for milling long screw-threads. One of these was awarded a medal at the International Exhibition in Paris in 1900 and is now in the South Kensington Museum in the section devoted to historical machine tools.
During the 1914-18 war he originated with others a government shell factory in Rochdale and served on its managing committee. He also designed very ingenious apparatus for the handling and conveyance of heavy shells by female labour at this factory.
Mr. Liebert was a Member of the Institution for nearly sixty years, having been elected in 1894. He was also, for a long time, a member of the council of the Machine Tool Trades' Association to which he rendered valuable services.