Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Angley Lewis-Dale (1876-1938)
1938 Obituary 
HENRY ANGLEY LEWIS-DALE, C.B.E., was for twenty years in the service of the Air Ministry, and was an authority on aerodrome construction, on which he published several works, including "Aviation and the Aerodrome", which appeared in 1932. He was born in 1876 and received his technical education at Crewe Mechanics' Institution and at Owens College, Manchester, where he also obtained three years' practical experience in the engineering workshop.
During 1895-7 he also lectured in mathematics at a technical school in Northwich. He then became a draughtsman in the constructional ironwork department of the London and North Western Railway at Crewe, and also carried out inspection of contractors' works. In 1901 he joined the works department of the Admiralty, as an engineering assistant, and designed penstocks, caissons, and hydraulic machinery. Subsequently he was assistant civil engineer for the construction of Chatham and Malta dockyards, and of Pembroke dock.
On the formation of the R.A.F. in 1918 he was transferred to the Air Ministry, as superintending civil engineer. Three years later he was made superintending engineer of the coastal district, and in 1929 he was promoted to be deputy director of works. He was responsible for all civil, mechanical, and electrical work carried out in his district, and he himself surveyed air routes, for the Air Ministry and for Imperial Airways, all over the world. He spent a considerable time in Newfoundland in connection with the survey of the transatlantic air route.
In 1937 he was awarded the C.B.E. in recognition of his services and at the close of the year he retired and lived near Hendon. He died at Crewe on 20th October 1938. Mr. Lewis-Dale was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1903 and was transferred to Membership in 1928. He was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.