Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,161 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Alfred Gray (1844-1905)
1906 Obituary 
HENRY ALFRED GRAY, Engineer-in-charge of Public Works, Canada, died at Toronto on the 23rd May, 1905.
Born at Edgbaston, near Birmingham, on the 21st November, 1844, he was educated at Doncaster and at Saltley College, and obtained his engineering training under the late Sir James Allport on the Midland Railway.
In 1866 he went out to Canada and joined the engineering staff of the Intercolonial Railway. Subsequently, he assisted in the location and construction of the line, and in 1871 was placed in charge of the Nova Scotian section. On its completion in 1873, he was appointed Engineer of Permanent Way, under the Public Works Department, a post which he held until 1875.
During the succeeding 3 years he was busily engaged upon various public works in Cape Breton and Nova Scotia, and in 1879 he was placed in charge of the Western Ontario Division of the Public Works Department, his headquarters being at Stratford until 1886, when he was transferred to Ottawa and appointed Assistant Chief Engineer of the Department.
During the following year, he investigated and reported upon the Rideau River floods and the proposed canal, and also gave evidence before the Senate on the sawdust obstructions in the Ottawa River.
After serving for a short period as resident superintendent for the Maritime Provinces, he reverted in 1889 to his former appointment of Engineer-in-charge of the Western Ontario district. Besides his engineering work, he was also proficient in architectural design, and was responsible for a large college and several churches and other buildings in Nova Scotia.
He was a Member of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers, having taken an active part in the formation of that Society.
Mr. Gray was elected a Member of this Institution on the 3rd March, 1891.