Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,337 pages of information and 230,176 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Son of Joseph Eugene Schneider
1887 Brought his son, Charles Eugene Schneider, into partnership
1898 Obituary 
1898 Obituary 
HENRI ADOLPHE EUGENE SCHNEIDER died at his residence in the Faubourg Saint-Honore, Paris, on May 17, 1898. Born at Le Creusot on December 10, 1840, he was the only son of M. Eugene Schneider, the founder of Le Creusot, and president of the Legislative Corps.
In March 1867 he was taken into partnership by his father, who died in 1875. Since that date he had sole control of the works, which employ 15,000 men. In metallurgy, in mechanical engineering, in artillery, and in armour-plate, he was the initiator of the constant advances which have made Le Creusot famous throughout the world.
He was Mayor of Le Creusot from 1871 to 1896, and on September 22, 1889, he was elected deputy for Autun by a majority of 9694 out of 15,658 voters. In August 1893 he was re-elected by a majority of 11,794 out of 15,716 voters. At the last election he felt his strength failing him, and presented his son, who had been associated with him since December 1895 in the control of the Company, for election in his place. In 1878 he was created an Officer of the Legion of Honour.
He was appointed regent of the Bank of France in 1886. He was also a director of the Orleans Railway Company, and of numerous industrial undertakings. He had a sincere solicitude for the welfare of his work-people, and was one of the first ironmasters to devote his private means to workmen's provident institutions.
In 1887 he founded alms houses for sixty old people, and in 1894 a hospital with 150 beds. He also built two churches. He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1876, and a Member of Council in 1890. In 1889 he was awarded the Bessemer gold medal.
Obituary 1898 
"... He was, says the Paris correspondent of the Times, a Deputy from 1889 till the recent dissolution, when he retired in favour of his son, M. Eugene Schneider, Mayor of Creusot. M. Henri Adolphe Schneider, the director of the famous engineering works at Creusot , was the son of M.Eugene Schneider, who bought the undertaking in 1833, when its fortunes were at a very low ebb, and, in conjunction with his brother Adolphe, developed it into one of the first establishments of its kind in the world. For well over a hundred years ironworks have existed at Creusot. At the beginning of the century they enjoyed considerable prosperity, but the peace of 1815..."[More].