Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,110 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Upper Easton, Bristol.
1851 Headford and Sage were employing 15 men.
1862 Partnership dissolved. '...the Partnership subsisting between James Headford and Samuel Sage, carrying on trade at Upper Easton, in the parish of Saint George, in the county of Gloucester, as Brick and Tile Manufacturers, and Coal Merchants, under the style or firm of Headford and Sage, has this day been dissolved by mutual consent...'
1863 James Headford died. The company was subsequently run by James' second wife Susan (1833-1906).
1871 Brickyard closed and the southern half of the site was cleared to make way for the Clifton Down branch of the Bristol and South Wales Union Railway, which opened in 1874. Shortly afterwards a new street (Brixton Road) was built on the remaining part of the former brickworks. Samuel Sage joined the houses formerly occupied by the Headford and Sage families into a single dwelling known as ‘Brixton House’.