1862 Joseph Wright retired from the partnership with Thomas Howard Head as Head and Wright at the Teesdale Iron Works, Stockton-On-Tees, in favour of Mr. Joseph Ashby. The firm became Head, Ashby and Co.
During the twelve years Mr. Head was a member of the Stockton firm, many important works were executed. These consisted of bridges, piers, blast-furnace and rolling-mill plant, shunting locomotives, iron roofing and general foundry and fitting work. The Teesdale Iron Works became indeed a large and important establishment in his hands.