Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,279 pages of information and 230,174 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Hawley Group

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

1978 Michael Ashcroft, having acquired 25 percent of Hawley-Goodall (Walsall), increased his holding to 47.5 percent. He also acquired 29.9 percent of Provincial Laundries.[1].

The companies made several acquisitions.

1980 Hawley Leisure acquired Cherry Leisure, amusement machine operator [2]

1980 Provincial acquired 20 percent of Pritchard Services, an industrial cleaning and contracting group.

1980 Hawley Leisure acquired Fry and Cowell wholesaler and retailer of sports equipment[3]

1981 Hawley Leisure, sports good retailer and amusement machine supplier, acquired Provincial (previously Provincial Laundries) forming a new company Hawley Group[4]

By 1983 the Hawley Group had a disparate range of interests including[5] subsidiaries:

as well as investments in

1986 Hawley owned 49 percent of Henlys, a Canadian group which owned the motor dealers of the same name; Henlys owned 43 percent of Cope Allman and Co; Hawleys acquired the other 57 percent of shares in Cope Allman with the intention of combining the ownership[6]

1987 Hawley acquired British Car Auctions

1987 Hawley acquired ADT Inc of USA, the world's largest burglar and fire alarm services group[7]

1988 Hawley took control of Cope Allman and Co; Hawley changed its name to ADT[8]


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Times, Apr 20, 1978
  2. The Times Apr 19, 1980
  3. The Times Nov 13, 1980
  4. The Times Apr 07, 1981
  5. The Times Sep 08, 1983
  6. The Times, March 12, 1986
  7. The Times, August 18, 1987
  8. The Times, January 06, 1988