Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,336 pages of information and 219,114 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Engineers of Gateshead Ironworks, Gateshead, suppliers of iron work for bridges and other purposes.
See also Hawks and Co
1837 The partnership as iron and steel manufacturers carried on under the firm of William Hawks (senior) and Co, of Gateshead Iron Works, and as Hawks, Stanley and Co in the City of London was dissolved as regards Sir Robert Shafto Hawks
1838 Hawks, Stanley and Co took over the running of the Gateshead Iron Works; Hawks, Crawshay and Stanley took over the running of Paul's Wharf, Upper Thames St, London
1838 Description of Hawks's works
1840 George Crawshay acquired two third of the shares; George Hawks owned the other third.
1841 Joseph Hawks retired from the partnerships under Hawks, Stanley and Co of Gateshead and Hawks, Crawshay and Stanley of London
1849 Hawks, Crawshay and Co were contractors for the ironwork for the High Level Bridge; Mr Hawks, mayor of Gateshead, drove the final key
1851 Great Exhibition, Hawks, Crawshay and Co
1857 'John Nesbitt, aged 11, accidentally slipped into a quantity of molten iron, on the 19th ult., at Gateshead Ironworks, and was dreadfully burnt. He was admitted to the infirmary, where he bore his sufferings with great magnanimity. He repeatedly stated that no one was to blame but himself — that his calamity arose from his own want of care ; and expressed a hope that he should get better ; "for" said he, "my poor mother has nobody else to support her." The poor lad, as may be supposed, died.'
1862 Made a Cornish pumping engine for Stoneferry Waterworks, Hull. 220 HP, 85" bore cylinder, 10 ft 6" stroke. Beam supported by four cast iron columns, 'painted in imitation of red granite' 
c.1863 George Crawshay addressed a Christmas party of about 1,300 of his employees at the iron works of Messrs. Hawks, Crawshay, and Co. at Newcastle-upon-Tyne. "These works were founded in 1754 by William Hawks, a blacksmith, whose principal trade consisted in making claw-hammers for joiners. He became a thriving man, and eventually a large manufacturer of bar-iron. Partners joined him, and in the course of the changes wrought by time, one of the Crawshays, in 1842, became a principal partner in the firm".
1866 Chain cables and anchors' proving establishment
1868 George Crawshay senior withdrew from the partnership
1869 Patent to George Crawshay of Hawks, Crawshay and Sons and John Thomas of Newcastle upon Tyne for method of extracting iron from various slags and improving the quality of wrought and pig iron.
1871 Stephen Wright Hawks died in January.
1870s/80s the site was overcrowded and handled a great number of processes and product lines which made it uncompetitive with the more streamlined and specialized yards on the Tyne such as Sir William Armstrong's.
1889 The company and ironworks closed; George Crawshay suffered a large loss; he died in 1896
An account of the company's history was presented in a Newcomen Society Paper