Harry Wood (c1885-1948)
1949 Obituary 
"HARRY WOOD was chairman of the Ingersoll-Rand Company, Ltd., compressed air engineers, Westminster, and had been associated with the firm since 1908 until his death, which occurred on 13th February 1948 in his sixty-third year. He received his general education at St. Michael's School, Limerick, and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. W. H. Bailey and Company, Ltd., of Salford, from 1900 to 1906, during which period he attended classes at the Salford Royal Technical College. On the completion of a further two years' service with Messrs. Bailey and Company as outside foreman he joined the Ingersoll-Rand Company as an assistant engineer and was promoted in 1910 to the post of manager of the firm's ancillary in Brazil, where he was in charge of design and the installation of plant for quarries and cotton mills.
After holding this position for five years he was appointed managing director with responsibility for the firm's interests on the Continent and in North Africa. He returned to the London office in 1930 where he continued to act in the same capacity until eventually he became chairman. During the war of 1939-45 Mr. Wood rendered valuable services to this country in securing supplies of wolfram, which were in danger of falling into the hands of the enemy. He had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1911."