Harry Norris (1889-1949)
1950 Obituary 
"HARRY NORRIS, whose death occurred on 23rd February 1949, was an outstanding automobile engineer.
He will be remembered for the valuable services that he rendered to the Coventry Centre of the Institution of Automobile Engineers over a number of years, being a Member of Committee since 1929 and Honorary Secretary from 1935 to 1945.
He was born in 1889, and received his technical education at Wigan Technical College. His apprenticeship was served from 1905 to 1912 with Messrs. Walker Brothers, Ltd., engineers, of Wigan, with whom he remained as a draughtsman on commercial vehicle work for a further two years. He then joined the Daimler Company, Ltd., and was successively employed in the commercial vehicle, tank, and aeroplane departments.
In 1919 he was entrusted with the investigation and correction of defects in design and was also responsible for the design of special controls. After holding this position for twelve years he was placed in charge of a section of the drawing office, and dealt with experimental work, modifications of design, and special orders in connection with buses, cars, and armoured vehicles. He resigned this post in 1937 and entered the employment of Messrs. Humber, Ltd., for whom he was first engaged in the modification and costings departments, and also had the charge of records.
Finally, in 1939, he was appointed technical assistant to the chief inspector, with responsibility for repairs to Bristol aero-engines and all drawings. In addition he was charged with the supervision of the office staff and modification inspectors. Mr. Norris was elected a Graduate of the Institution of Automobile Engineers in 1915, and was transferred to Associate Membership in 1920, and to Membership in 1944."