Harris Gregory Williams
Harris Gregory Williams (1870-1939) of Armstrong Whitworth
1939 Obituary 
Mr. Harris Gregory Williams, O.B.E., was born at Southampton on April 4, 1870, and died at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, on May 7, 1939.
He was educated at Reading School and at the Royal Naval Colleges of Keyham and Greenwich, and was appointed to Portsmouth Dockyard with rank of Assistant Constructor in 1892. Mr. Williams was placed in charge of the design and construction of submarines in 1904, and held this position until 1912.
He then joined Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth & Company, as submarine expert. Between 1917 and 1920 he was responsible for the four rigid airships constructed at Selby for the Admiralty.
In 1920 he became General Manager of all the Armstrong Whitworth shipyards and held this position until he retired in 1926. Mr. Williams was elected a Member of Council of the Institution of Naval Architects in 1922, and a Fellow of the North-East Coast Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in 1930.
He served on numerous committees of these bodies, and, as chairman, drew up the 1930 Report on Engineering Training for Officer Rank for the latter institution. He was a member of the Advisory Committee of the William Fronde Laboratory from 1924 until the time of his death.
He was elected a member of the Institute of Metals in 1914.