Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,989 pages of information and 229,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Harold Carrington Wood (1882-1961) of the Wellman, Smith, Owen Engineering Corporation.
1951 Retirement 
AFTER an association of more than forty-two years with the Wellman, Smith, Owen Engineering Corporation, Ltd., and its predecessors, Mr. Harold Carrington Wood retired at the end of 1961.
Mr. Wood studied engineering at the University College, London, and served his apprenticeship with the Airdrie Iron Company.
When he entered the service of Wellman Seaver and Head, Ltd., in 1909, he was entrusted with the responsibility of establishing a subsidiary company in Dusseldorf and developing the company's business in steel works plant in Germany.
He resided in Germany for five years up to the outbreak of war in 1914, and during that time was instrumental in promoting the installation of Wellman tilting furnaces and charging machines in a number of Continental countries.
After serving in the Royal Naval Division Engineers in the 1914-18 war, he returned to the Wellman organisation, first as foreign sales manager and later in charge of home sales - a position which he held for many years.
"WE regret to have to record the death, on February 6, 1961, of Mr. H. C. Wood. Harold Carrington Wood was born on February 28, 1882, and was educated at Hereford County College, Reading School and University College, London. He joined the Airdrie Iron Company as an apprentice in 1901, and during his apprenticeship studied mining engineering at Coatbridge Technical School.
From 1906 to 1909 he was with the firm of Sack at Dusseldorf, where he was engaged on the design of rolling mills, the preparation of tenders and superintendence of plant erection. Returning to his native country in 1909, Mr. Wood joined Wellman Seaver and Head, taking charge of sales and plant erection in Europe. From 1914 to 1916 he was in H.M. Forces, but was recalled to take up work with his old firm.
In 1922 Mr. Wood was appointed British director of the Wellman, Smith, Owen Engineering Corporation, Ltd., as the company had then become, and of its associated company the Wellman Seaver Rolling Mills Co. In this capacity he was particularly concerned with steel works cranes and other plant, and with equipment for coke ovens. He was a Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, to which he was elected in 1922. Mr Wood retired from the Wellman, Smith, Owen Engineering Corporation in December, 1951."