Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,592 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Progress Works, Brook Street, Manchester. (1914)
Chronology of this group:
1881 Mr. Hans Renold, patent chain maker, mentioned as having three rooms (one with power) at Medlock Sawmills, Chorlton-on-Medlock, and a tenancy of two more years.
1881 He moved from Salford to Brook Street, Manchester, where a new factory, Progress Works, was subsequently built.
1884 Advertising for a Light Tool Fitter and an Improver. Address is Hans Renold, Green Lane, Brook street.
1885 A patent for the block chain was applied for by Hans Renold but he decided to openly give his idea to the cycle trade for all to freely manufacture.
1888 The Hans Renold company were riveting the bearing pins in the assembled chain.
1889 The company designed and manufactured a purpose built plate hole-punching machine.
Designed and manufactured a machine for the Dry Tumbling (Jingling) of chain components.
1893 Hans Renold company were using hardened components.
1895 Designed and manufactured a machine for producing the Rotary Rivet on the ends of the chain bearing pins. The need for an Inverted tooth (silent chain) was apparent to Hans Renold and this resulted in his patent of 1895. Although his design of chain was superseded in later years by the silent chain with rocker joints, he made an impact in the introduction of such a chain. Designed and manufactured a machine for the Wet Tumbling (Jingling) of chain components
1896 Hans Renold company designed and manufactured a machine for the proof loading of their chain.
Introduced the 48-hour week when the general practice in engineering was 52 or more.
1899 The Hans Renold company introduced their patented feature of the end recess in the bearing pin. Introduced the round-ended necked (i.e. shouldered) bearing pin in their 1899 patent.
1899 Introduced a Works Canteen.
1900 The Hans Renold company designed and manufactured a Coning Machine.
In the early 1900s the Hans Renold company introduced an apprenticeship scheme.
1903 The company took limited liability status.
1905 Renolds introduced percussion testing on chain components.
Hans Renold Ltd designed and manufactured a Semi-Automatic Drifting Machine for use on assembled inner links.
1906 Renolds began supplying mortise block chains (and associated equipment) which were a notable part of the business for about 60 years. During the construction of a new factory, rather than use belt drives from overhead line-shafts Renold designed, and installed, overhead chain drives. Began designing and manufacturing special - purpose machines for the assembly of chains. Began the manufacture of chain wheels. Developed a machine for centreless grinding of bearing pins. This was long before centreless grinders became the factor in machine shop practice that they are now.
1907 The company developed a new tooth form for roller chain wheels.
1909 The firm introduced Torsion Testing on chain components. Began supplying transmission chain for aircraft.
1910 Hans Renold Ltd designed and manufactured a Tumbler (Jingler) for the blueing of chain plates. The blue plates being a feature of the Hans Renold chain for many years.
1911 Issued catalogue. Renold Bush Roller Chains. 
1912 The company began the process of end softening of bearing pins and only now are many of Renold's competitors beginning to incorporate this feature. Supplied the chain for Big Ben.
1913 Hans Renold launched his improved sprocket tooth profile which, with slight modification, was adopted by the United States as their Standard profile. Designed and manufactured a Fatigue Test Machine for the evaluation of chain fatigue strength.
1914 Designed and patented their flexible chain coupling. A product that is still used today, worldwide.
1914 Driving Chain Manufacturer. Specialities: driving chains and wheels for power transmission, general engineering purposes, motor cars, motor vehicles, motor cycles, bicycles etc. Employees 1200. 
c1915 Hans Renold Ltd were manufacturing high waisted chain plates and were also manufacturing chains with straight sided plates. Designed and manufactured Running-in machine for their chain. Introduced Stock Drives, something of which is taken for granted today.
By 1915 the company had completed the construction of, and transferred to the Renold Works in Burnage, Manchester. The first of many branch sales offices were opened in London and Glasgow, in 1910 and 1912, respectively.
1916 Started supplying chain with Case Hardened pins. Patented the segmental bush design of inverted tooth (silent) chain.
1917 Advert for chain (Hans Renold of Didsbury, Manchester). 
1917 Hans Renold were market leaders by having coned (i.e. tapered) bush bores.
1918 Manufactured extra strong chains for use on motorcycles.
1919 Advert for Transmission chains (Hans Renold of Didsbury, Manchester). 
1920 A selling subsidiary was established in Canada in 1920, and a less successful sales organisation in America, in 1921. The same period saw the formation of Renold Chains Ltd., to handle export sales other than those to Canada and the U.S.A. (mainly with French and Belgian markets in mind).
1920s Early in the decade, Hans Renold supplied bush roller chains for the first marine Diesel engines. Also designed and manufactured a series of chain test machines:
1921 Noise Testing.
1922 Chain Pairing. Designed and manufactured a Bush Curling Machine.
1923 Chain Out Of Alignment Testing. Chain Wobble Testing. High Speed Testing. Impact Testing.
1925 The first acquisition of a major competitor came, when Brampton Brothers with its French manufacturing subsidiary at Calais, was purchased and the operation merged with the manufacturing facility previously established in Coventry.
1927 To improve bush inner/plate security Hans Renold patented the 'keyed' bush. This feature is still used today.
1927 Stand No.180 at the1927 Motor Cycle and Cycle Show at Olympia
1928 The German sales subsidiary, Renold Industrie Ketten GmbH, was formed.
1928 Charles G. Renold became chairman
Hans Renold were approved under the A.I.D. regulations to issue Inspection Certificates and were likewise an approved A.R.B inspection authority.
1930 Merger with Coventry Chain Co created Renold and Coventry Chain Co. The new company had works in Manchester, Coventry and Birmingham, together with the former Brampton works at Calais. Chain production in the UK works was concentrated in Manchester and Coventry, and free wheel manufacture at Coventry was given up.