Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 139,081 pages of information and 225,328 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
HMS Howe was built as a 121-gun screw first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy.
She and her sister HMS Victoria were the first and only British three-decker ships of the line to be designed from the start for screw propulsion, but the Howe was never completed for sea service (and never served under her original name) as she had already been made obsolete by the first ironclad battleships.
HMS Howe, was launched on 7 March 1860, and achieved 13.565 knots (25.122 km/h) on her sea trials on 1 June 1861 but was never completed for sea as a line-of-battle ship. She first entered service in 1885 as a training ship at Plymouth, renamed Bulwark (6,557 tons, 12 Guns). She was moved to Devonport and renamed Impregnable in 1886. Renamed Bulwark again in 1919, she was finally sold for scrap in 1921.