Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Herbert Thomson Garvie

From Graces Guide
(Redirected from H. T. Garvie)

Herbert Thomson Garvie (1884-1946)


1946 Obituary [1]

HERBERT THOMSON GARVIE, whose death occurred at Alexandria on 26th March 1946, was the chairman and managing director of the British Steel Piling Company, Ltd., of London and Claydon, and had been associated with the firm since 1907.

He was born at Whetstone, Middlesex, in 1884, and received his technical education at the Polytechnic, Regent Street. His apprenticeship was served with the Southgate Engineering Company, Ltd., and also with Messrs. Mavor and Coulson, Ltd., Glasgow, from 1899 to 1903. After four years' experience in the drawing office of the former firm he began his long association with the British Steel Piling Company, and as engineer took charge of the design and construction of steel cofferdams and pile-driving plants of various types, amongst his earlier achievements being the sinking of colliery shafts through running sands at the Hatfield Main Colliery, Doncaster.

In 1918 he was made chief engineer and general manager, and ten years later he became managing director. Mr. Garvie was a recognized authority on steel sheet piling, and his advice was sought in connection with the design of practically every installation carried out in Great Britain during recent years. In addition he travelled extensively abroad, and established associate companies in Canada, Egypt, and India. For many years he was chairman of Messrs. John Gill Contractors, Ltd., and in 1945 joined the board of directors of the South Durham Iron and Steel Company, Ltd., and the Cargo Fleet Iron Company, Ltd.

Mr. Garvie was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1918 and was transferred to Membership in 1927. He was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and the Institution of Structural Engineers on whose Council he served for some years.


1946 Obituary [2]



1946 Obituary [3]




See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information