H. R. Backhouse and Co
H. R. Backhouse and Co of Tyseley, Birmingham.
1923-4 New Coulson were motorcycles produced between 1923 and 1924. It was the successor to the Coulson B.
Production continued with models fitted with 348cc and 545cc Blackburne engines, and the Coulson spring frame. There was also a 269cc two-stroke without rear suspension.
In the spring of 1924 another unsprung sports model appeared. This had a 349cc ohv Bradshaw oil-cooled engine, Druid forks and three-speed Burman gearbox. The venture did not succeed beyond that year.
1930 Amalgamated with James Cycles
Sources of Information
- The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
- Birmingham’s Industrial Heritage by Ray Shill. Published by Sutton Publishing 2002. ISBN 0-7509-2593-0