Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,918 pages of information and 228,821 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
It actually consists of two bridges, both built in the mid-19th century. The eastern side was built by the Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway, (a consortium of the London Brighton and South Coast Railway, the London, Chatham and Dover Railway, the Great Western Railway and the London and North Western Railway) in 1858-60 to carry trains into Victoria station; it was the first railway bridge across the Thames in central London. This bridge was designed by Sir John Fowler.
The western side was built in 1865-66; initially it was intended a new bridge would provide 3 lines for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway but the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway also required a third line into the station so, instead of building a separate bridge, the new structure abutted the earlier one. The designer was Sir Charles Fox.
Both bridges were rebuilt in steel in 1963–67, the original piers now being encased in concrete. The designer for this work was Freeman Fox & Partners, and the project engineer was A. H. Cantrell, chief civil engineer of the Southern Region of British Rail. To avoid disrupting traffic, the bridges were re-built as 8 separate parallel bridges.
On the north bank is Pimlico to the north and east and Chelsea to the west; the Lister Hospital and the Royal Chelsea Hospital lie immediately to the north west. On the south bank is Nine Elms to the east and Battersea to the west. Battersea Power Station is immediately to the south of the bridge, and Battersea Park to the south west.