Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,876 pages of information and 225,311 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Grissell and Peto (1830-1847) were, for many years, one of the largest building and contractors’ businesses in Britain. They executed many important buildings, including Hungerford Market, the Reform, Conservative, and Oxford and Cambridge Club-houses, the Lyceum, St. James’s, and Olympic Theatres, Nelson's Column, all the Great Western Railway works between Hanwell and Langley (including the Hanwell Viaduct, but excluding the embankment), a large part of the South Eastern Railway, and the Woolwich Graving Dock.
1834 Peto saw the potential of the newly developing railways and dissolved the connection with his uncle's building firm. He and his cousin Grissell founded a business as an independent railway contractor. His firm's first railway work was to build two stations in Curzon Street, Birmingham.
Next the firm built its first line of track, the Hanwell and Langley section of the Great Western Railway, which included the Wharncliffe Viaduct
Their most notable work was on the new Houses of Parliament for which they won several contracts, including the foundations, between 1839 and 1850, the work supervised entirely by Grissell, and from 1846 in his sole name.
1843 Built Nelson's Column
Grissell became increasingly nervous of the risks taken by Peto.
1847 Morton Peto became Member of Parliament for Norwich, and the business partnership was dissolved. Thomas Grissell retained the building contracts, including the contract for the Houses of Parliament, and Peto kept the railway contracts.
1848 Built the Bloomsbury Baptist Chapel, the first Baptist church with spires in London.