In 1849 a locomotive works was built for the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway so the locomotive, carriage and wagon workshops could be transferred from Newton, Cheshire.
Later the works at Gorton became the headquarters for the construction and repair of locomotives, carriages and wagons, and for the manufacture of a portion of the permanent way requirements for the Great Central Railway Company.
By 1907 the space available at Gorton was insufficient for the stock so the carriage and wagon work was transferred to new works at Dukinfield. The whole of the Gorton works was then made available for the construction and repair of locomotives, and for the manufacture of permanent way apparatus.
It carried out repairs and major overhauls, producing new boilers and all LNER castings. There was also a carriage and wagon works which had been built in 1881 which carried out light repairs.
Both were closed in 1962.
Sources of Information
-  Wikipedia