Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,712 pages of information and 213,790 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1821 John Rennie proposed the construction of docks at Goole for the Aire and Calder Navigation, rather than a lock into the river; the company proposed that 7 feet (2.1 m) of water should be available.
After Rennie's death in late 1821, and George Leather took over as engineer.
1822 Construction at Goole started on 28 September 1822, and the company eventually built much of the new town as well as the docks.
1826 The canal and docks opened on 20 July. A barge lock, 72.5 by 22 feet (22.1 by 6.7 m) and a ship lock, 120 by 33.7 feet (37 by 10.3 m), capable of taking vessels up to 400 tons, connected the extensive docks to the Ouse.
1827 Goole became an official port, when it gained its own Customs facilities.
1828 Extensions to the canal were approved included provision for extensions to Goole docks.