Clarke, Cluley and Co
of Globe Works, Coventry
1896/7 Directory: Listed under cycles. More details
Globe were motorcycles produced from 1901 to 1905. The machines were primitive but in 1904 the firm also offered a model with the Phoenix Trimo forecar or a trailer. Although such fittings were nearing the end of their popularity, the company went ahead. The forecars had a 3.5hp Minerva or Sarolea engine with a water-cooled cylinder head inclined and hung from the downtube. A chain-driven pump circulated the water. A clutch was fitted to the crankshaft and the rear-wheel drive was by belt.
1902 'Clarke, Cluley and Co have on exhibit their 'Globe' motor cycle, in which the 2.25 h.p. motor is set vertically in the specially designed loop frame strongly held by three brackets and provided with a special silencer carried beneath the crank chamber'
1904 Partnership dissolved. '...the Partnership heretofore subsisting between the undersigned, Ernest Clarke. Charles James Cluley, and Daniel Blakemore, carrying on business as Cycle Manufacturers, at the Globe Cycle Works, Well-street, Coventry, under the style or firm of "CLARKE, CLULEY, AND CO.," has been dissolved by mutual consent...'
1906 Partnership dissolved. '...Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Daniel Blakemore and Charles James Cluley, carrying on business as Cycle Manufacturers, at the "Globe Cycle Works," Well-street, Coventry, under the style or firm of "CLARKE CLULEY AND CO.," has been dissolved by mutual consent...'
1911 Concentrating on cycle production
1912 Listed in Spennell's directory of Coventry as Cycle Manufacturers. 
1934 Producing parts for textile machinery
WWII Factory bombed in 1940 and a new one built a year later at Kenilworth
1987 Company closed
Sources of Information
- Coventry Evening Telegraph - Thursday 27 November 1902
-  Gazette Issue 27689 published on the 24 June 1904. Page 41 of 88
-  Gazette Issue 27909 published on the 1 May 1906. Page 55 of 100
- Spennell's Annual Directory of Coventry and District, 1912-13
- The Times, April 13, 1996
-  MICMA Web Site
- Peck's Trades Directory of Birmingham, 1896-97: Cycles
- Coventry’s Motorcycle Heritage by Damien Kimberley. Published 2009. ISBN 978 0 7509 5125 9
- The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
- The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle by Peter Henshaw. Published 2007. ISBN 978 1 8401 3967 9