Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,520 pages of information and 233,951 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1833 The distillery, initially and alternatively known as Glenpatrick, was established by John Hodge on a lease from the Speirs family of Elderslie.
1858 Ownership changed hands several times and the name changed to Gleniffer. At some point the distillery passed into the hands of James Johnstone, who also established the Dean Distillery in Edinburgh in 1881.
1887 Scotch Whisky Distillers Limited was incorporated, a company registered in England, which acted as a consortium that included the Dean and Gleniffer distilleries, as well as Ben Wyvis (Dingwall) and Glen Nevis (Campbeltown). The venture was short-lived and the company went into liquidation in 1889, with the distilleries being put up for sale. While the Edinburgh premises continued in business as James Johnstone Limited, Gleniffer closed in 1894.