Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,502 pages of information and 233,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Whisky distillers, Inverness
1846 The distillery, which was, over time, described both as Glen Albyn and Glenalbyn was first established by James Sutherland, provost of Inverness.
1849 The main buildings of the distillery were destroyed, together with machinery and other equipment, in a disastrous fire.
1884 After a period of use as a grain mill, the facility resumed its function as a distillery.
1895 The Glenalbyn Distillery Company Limited was incorporated.
1917 The company went into voluntary liquidation.
1920 The distillery was bought and operated by their neighbours, Mackinlays and Birnie Limited.
1972 The business was taken over by the Distillers Co.
1983 Both Glen Mhor and Glen Albyn distilleries were closed and subsequently demolished.