Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,652 pages of information and 213,749 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1913 The Gladstone Dock extension to the Mersey Docks was opened.
The development of the complete scheme was delayed during WWI but, from 1919, the work was accelerated so that the whole system was completed by 1927, in which year it was opened by H.M. the King.
1926 - December. Liverpool's new Gladstone Dock, according to a statement made by Mr. T. M. Newell, engineer-in-chief to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, was to be ready to open in February 1927. The dock cost about £8,000,000 was on course for construction for twenty years, but construction was held up during the war years.