Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,597 pages of information and 209,979 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Sir Gilbert Henry Claughton (1856-1921), ironmaster and director, later chairman, of the London and North Western Railway and other directorships.
1921 Obituary 
Sir GILBERT HENRY CLAUGHTON, Bart., Vice-President, died on June 27, 1921, at St. Briavel's Castle, Gloucestershire. He was the son of the Rt. Rev. T. L. Claughton, Bishop of St. Albans, and was born in 1856. He was educated at Eton, and from there went to the works of Beyer, Peacock & Co., Ltd., of Manchester.
At the age of twenty-eight he obtained an appointment at the Castle Mill Works at Tipton of the Earl of Dudley. He was eventually given the entire management of the whole of Lord Dudley's mineral estate, a position which he occupied with distinction for a period of twenty years.
In 1905 he became a director of the London and North Western Railway, was appointed Deputy Chairman five years later, and in 1911 he succeeded Lord Stalybridge as Chairman. Among other activities, he was a member of the South Staffordshire Mines Drainage Commission, and of the Board of the Round Oak Works. He also served on the local Coal Trade and Iron Trade Wages Boards. He was created a baronet in 1912.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1886, a Member of Council in 1912, and a Vice-President in 1918.
1921 Obituary