Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,038 pages of information and 222,628 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Gerard Brothers Ltd, manufacturer of personal healthcare products, of Nottingham
1897 The company was founded; Mr Thomas B. Gerard was its first chairman. The company established a factory in Wilkinson Street, New Basford, Nottingham. The factory was built on a 14-acre site and pumped water from the River Leen.
Gerard Brothers' main brand was called Ino. The brand was produced as a toilet soap with the tagline "The First Aid to Beauty". Washing flakes were also produced with the tagline 'Ino Flakes Wash Everything'. A set of playing cards were manufactured to advertise Ino Flakes.
Gerard Brothers also manufactured a range of soaps inspired by flowers. The range included Lily of the Valley, Rose and Lavender.
1921 the factory was severely damaged by fire,but the subsequent rebuild afforded the opportunity to expand the factory.
1955 the company was acquired by Cussons, Sons and Co, chaired by Leslie Cussons makers of the famous brand Cussons Imperial Leather soap. After the acquisition Cussons kept the Gerard Brothers factory in use.
1975 Cussons, Sons and Co were themselves acquired by Paterson Zochonis (recently renamed PZ Cussons).
2005 PZ Cussons finally closed the old Gerard Brothers factory; manufacturing was moved to Pathumthani, Thailand.