Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,674 pages of information and 227,384 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Edinburgh, manufacturers of paper-making machinery and large steam engines
1845 Another engineering company, James Bertram and Son, was established by a younger brother, in Leith Walk, in 1845.
c.1859 George and William Bertram moved to larger premises.
1860 William Bertram retired; he died the same year. George continued to supply a wide variety of machinery.
George's son David took over the business from his father. He was the last of the direct line of Bertrams running the business.
1874 Michael Patterson was appointed manager of the St. Katharine’s Engineering Works of George and William Bertram.
1884 Messrs. Bertram established the St. Katharine’s Works, Bow, London
1888 Bertrams Ltd was registered to take over the business; William Bertram and David Noble Bertram were the only Bertrams who were directors; the third brother (presumably John) had retired (living on private means in 1891 census).
1920 Bertrams acquired an iron foundry in Westfield Avenue, Gorgie
1974 James Bertram & Son of Leith closed
1980s saw the decline and ultimate collapse of Bertrams.
1981 The foundry at Westfield closed in 1981 and the company itself went into liquidation the following year.
Bertrams Sciennes Limited, lasted until 1985, when the factory closed.
NB In contrast to the reference, it seems unlikely that the Bertram brothers could have spent 20 years in Dartford (as stated there) before setting up his business in 1821 so this part of the statement has been removed.