Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,956 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Wilkie (1820-1857)
1858 Obituary 
MR. GEORGE WILKIE, the eldest son of the late Mr. George Wilkie, of Paternoster Row, was born in the year 1820, and served a pupillage under Mr. Newman, Architect to the Bridge House estates.
We was then, for a time, engaged under Mr. W. C. Mylne, M. Inst. C.E., at the New-river Water-works; then for nearly ten years in the employment of Messrs. Morewood and Rogers, as their Engineer and the Surveyor of their mineral property, at which time he devoted attention to the manufacture of Iron, upon which he published a Treatise, which has been mentioned with eulogium by competent authorities. He was for a short time Surveyor on the Earl of Falmouth's Cornish Estates, and he also took part in the surveys for several Railways.
He was a Member of the Society of Friends, was a man of retiring habits, but of considerable perseverance and quiet energy; and was generally esteemed and respected by those who knew him well.
He joined the Institution a6 an Associate on the 1st March 1853, and his decease occurred on the 30th July 1857, in his thirty-seventh year.