Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,429 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Thomas Page (1808-1849)
1841 George Thomas Page of Leith, became a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1851 Obituary 
Mr. George Thomas Page the second son of Mr. Thomas Page, an officer in H. M. Customs, was born at Plymouth, on the 9th of January, 1808, and being educated with the intention of entering the Academy of Naval Architecture, then existing at Portsmouth, but which was broken up before he was appointed, his studies were especially directed to those branches which eventually proved most useful to him in his subsequent career.
In the year 1824 he was articled as a pupil to the late Mr. Foulston, Architect, of Plymouth, under whom he studied very assiduously, and received from him high testimonials, on his entering on an engagement in London, under Mr. G. Smith, Architect to the Mercer’s Company with whom he only remained a few months, as he accepted a more permanent engagement with Mr. Martin (Assoc.Inst.C.E.), Surveyor, of Leeds.
He subsequently returned to Plymouth, and whilst practising on his own account, as architect, surveyor, &C., he became known to James M. Rendel (V.P.Inst.C.E.), by whom he was employed on surveys and drawings, and eventually was entrusted with the superintendence of the repairs and alterations of the Montrose Suspension Bridge, which he conducted with great skill.
He then became permanently engaged with Mr. Rendel, and was appointed resident engineer to the Birkenhead Dock and Warehouse Company. On the temporary suspension of those works, he was transferred, in the same capacity, to the Leith Docks, where, during two years, he fulfilled the duties of his post with untiring energy, and in the prosecution of them, he met with the fatal accident which deprived the Dock Commissioners of a most faithful and skillful officer, Mr. Rendel of a talented and attached assistant, and the Institution of a valuable member, whose career promised to be brilliant and useful.
He joined the Institution, as an Associate, in 1841, was transferred to the class of Members, in 1849, was a frequent attendant at the meetings, and contributed to their interest, by papers and by taking part in the discussions.
His decease occurred suddenly, from a fall from the wall of the Leith New Dock, on the 7th of December, 1849, regretted by all to whom he was known.